Sunday, September 1, 2024

Introduction

Hi there, 

My mother Margaret Macomber had a very bad experience during her two week stay in long term care in Nova Scotia. This blog will chronicle my journey in seeking justice for her memory and paths for better outcomes for others in the future.

My mother's incident was investigated by Protection of Persons In Care, a provincial government service within the Department of Health and Wellness. The investigation determined multiple failures in her care as she experienced prolonged, extreme pain (screaming in pain), new to her, without assistance or notification to her doctor or family. 

Unfortunately many of us have family members who have experienced neglect or abuse in long term care. A quick google search reveals horror stories. Despite the appearance of preventative measures it continues. 

I'm not an expert in long term care but I have time, my background as a municipal planner lends related skills, and I can be kind of relentless 😬. I hope you'll join me and share your thoughts in exploring why abuse and neglect in long term care continues and how we can do better. 

A final note for today's post - there are many groups doing wonderful work for seniors in Nova Scotia. There are also many great resources online. As I develop my blog I'll add links to some of these that you might find useful. 

Carol 


Mom wearing one of our Five Fires Equestrian Centre hats ❤️



No comments:

Post a Comment

Types and Frequency of Abuse

Mom with her great grand daughter Kara. I've been trying to write this for days. I've started it three times! Every time I get an an...